Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Role of Religion During Conflict: Charles Taylor


Charles Taylor invaded Liberia from Cote I'voire on Christmas Eve, 1989. He seized power and was "democratically" elected president in 1997. He ruled (until being exiled in 2003) with a sense of divine appointment. He was once quoted, saying:

"
I’m here because the One that created me to launch this revolution, and I’ll tell you, if God did not want me—I’m not here because I wanted to be here. Because the only person that could have protected me over the past five to six years is Jehovah God Almighty!”

How do you think this ideology figured in to his rule?

I came across several links between Taylor and American evangelist Pat Robertson during my research. What do you think this implies about Taylor and those who support him?

1 comment:

  1. Good relevant find regarding the role of religion. Robertson often creates a mockery of foreign relations and this piece smacks of that.

    ReplyDelete

Timeline: Liberian History

Timeline: Liberian History

Timeline: Liberian Conflict and Reconstruction 1980 - Present

Timeline: Liberian Conflict and Reconstruction 1980 - Present